Sunday, November 1, 2009

November already?

I saw Dr. K last Wednesday for my 22 week appointment and talked at length about the swine flu vaccine. He shares all the same concerns that I do about how new the vaccine is and admitted that it is also driving him crazy about what to do. The shipment of the vaccine had not yet come it at that time, however I was reassured that they will be receiving the preservative-free version. So, if I decide to go ahead and get it I can get it there (when it arrives).

We are having another ultrasound on Tuesday, Nov 3rd! When Dr. K was measuring my fundal height, or the distance from my pubic bone to the top of my uterus, the number was 4 weeks ahead of where I should be for 22 weeks. He measured multiple times and decided to go ahead and get another ultrasound to find out why I am ahead. At the 18 week ultrasound I was 18 weeks and 5 days and the baby was measuring at 19 weeks and 3 days, but to measure at 26 weeks when I am only 22 weeks is quite a big jump! He said it could be extra amniotic fluid or that he was feeling my transverse colon and not my uterus. I asked it meant the baby was already huge because of gestational diabetes and he said that probably wasn't the case. Sam had a strong heartbeat and continues to move around a lot, so obviously the baby is not in distress. And it seems the additional ultrasound is precautionary and not a reason to get freaked out! BUT..Of course I looked on the Internet when I got home reasons for this and found out the due date could be miscalculated, fluid as Doc said, the baby was stretched out, or there are multiples in there! THAT WOULD BE QUITE THE SURPRISE! I suppose it could also be my normal anatomy, since this is baby #1 I have no way of knowing what is normal for my body.
So we'll be in suspense until Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment