Saturday, February 6, 2010
Possible Induction?
At our 36 week appointment, Dr. Koss asked how we felt about being induced at 39 weeks. Now, we all know the possibility of little Sam being a big baby because of genetics and I probably mentioned before that our Doc is leaving on vacation on Feb 25th. So the possible induction is for 2 reasons- size of baby and so that our doctor is the one that delivers. It seems to be a waiting game at this point to see how much bigger baby gets in the next 2 weeks and to see if my body (specifically the cervix) starts initiating signs of labor (dilation/effacement). If I am not at ALL dilated or effaced at 38 weeks- I don't think induction would be an option because I don't want to mess with nature that much. But, IF I am showing signs of labor and was lets say 80% effaced and/or dilated to 3-4 cm already I'd be more open to being induced with pitocin which would just move the process along a little bit (and from what I've heard be MUCH more painful especially without an epidural). The fear is that if I am induced and don't progress it could lead to a c-section. However, if I wait and baby doesn't come out for an extra week or so, baby could be so BIG that I'd have to have a c-section and in that case it could be with a doctor I haven't met before...If you haven't noticed- I really would like to AVOID a C-section if possible! SO, despite what you may have heard from Owen, we have NOT decided to pick this baby's birthday at this point. It's a waiting game! Please pray that baby Stamm just initiates labor naturally without meds before our doctor goes on vacation! I am of course leaving ALL the options open at this point and I'm still pretty calm about the whole thing thanks to the hormones....I am just getting lots of input from current moms who have been through labor once or twice! Off to work now, more blogging later about my awesome showers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment