Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mini Vacation

The three of us enjoyed an overnight adventure to my aunt and uncle's lake house in Oxford, Wisconsin this past weekend. Two years ago Owen and I went to the lake house with Andrew and Angie and my sister, Christy and had a fun but very different experience (pre-babies). It was still a fun get away for our little family! The motorized boat was in the shop but we were able to play with a paddle boat, kayak, and canoe instead. Owen and Andrew took Ethan and I for a ride in the canoe! Ethan liked it for the first 5 mins but in the middle of the lake he had a meltdown and cried til we got to shore. I'm convinced that it was the lack of an afternoon nap that caused the meltdown, not the canoe ride. He finally passed out from exhaustion in my arms as I walked up the hill to the house. I thought for sure he'd sleep for a few hours....nope...32 mins was all. But he woke up pleasant and still slept through the night so all in all it was a success!

This was our first go at a hotel with a baby and I have to say I was surprised how well Ethan did. I suppose this is another bonus of having him "sleep trained." He was transported from the pack n' play to the car seat and back to the pack n' play without a peep and pretty much slept through all the transfers. It seems as long as we follow his bedtime routine he can fall asleep pretty easily just about anywhere...except for a tent that is set up on the back of a gator...see picture (hence the missed afternoon nap)! Pictures were taken by the ever so talented- Angela!

Ethan experienced his first feel of sand on his feet at the little beach on the lake. He just stayed his mellow self about it. More than once my brother commented on how "chill" and "mellow" Ethan was. He is really easy going and content most of the time. It is very noticeable when Ethan is hanging out with Evelyn who is very active and likes to make high pitched, happy, screaming, girly noises!

We look forward to spending more mini-vacations at the lake house thanks to Jim and Vicky's generosity!

No comments:

Post a Comment