Thursday, August 29, 2013

Impetigo

If you guessed impetigo you are correct.  It's a bacterial skin infection that luckily for Ethan has NOT made him miserable. He woke up with this rash on his face Wednesday morning. I contemplated calling the pediatrician but I always feel like an annoying parent when I take the kids in for sick visits. (I'm convinced I will probably never find a pediatrician that I really like). In addition to the rash I was concerned about his hearing as well. At first I thought it was just because he's 3 1/2 but then I realized he really was not hearing well. I had a feeling "mommy instinct + medical professional" that the rash and the ear was something that needed attention so I went to a Walgreens healthcare clinic and was very pleased with the nurse practitioner who evaluated Ethan. (We NPs like to support each other) ! She handed me the otoscope to take a peek after she was done which I never would have asked to do but really appreciated. 
From yesterday to today the rash has faded, Ethan no longer winces when I touch his right ear, and he is acting his normal goofy self again. Key is to keep his hands off his face and away from Gavin. I think Ethan had a fun mommy and Ethan day although he did ask "are we going to pick up Gavin now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment